Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The GDiaper !!

Over the past several months, I have been struggling with using disposable diapers for my kiddos. Every time I watch my DH empty out the Diaper Champ, I'd think to myself...wow, that huge bag of dirty diapers is never going to biodegrade in the landfill. Ok, never might be too strong of word but did you know that the conventional disposable diaper will take 500 years to biodegrade? And they are the 3rd largest contributors to landfills around the world. Yikes...hello...is anybody getting this...500 years? I know what you're thinking...does it really matter? It really started bugging me so I made a decision to go with cloth diapers and was going to use my last disposable and then make the switch. I headed to Target one Saturday afternoon as I was on my weekly shopping venture and made my way over to the cloth diaper area. For some reason Pampers and Huggies started calling out my name or at least that's what I thought I heard. So sure enough, I broke down and bought more disposable diapers because I could justify it with the fact they were on sale and I had coupons...yippee!! So, I ended up at square one...watching my hubby emptying the Diaper Champ the next day and feeling terrible that I could have joined the Green band wagon a little sooner.

But, lo and behold, one late night, my SIL Dawn sent me this link to a company called GDiapers. I'd never heard of these diapers before. So I checked out their website and I was pretty impressed with how these worked. What's really cool is they have videos that show real people putting them on their child or flushing the dirty diaper down the toilet. If you think about it, we really only have 2 options - cloth or disposable. I am so thankful that I have a 3rd option to consider now. Anyways, I think I am going to try these out and will come back and share my experience. I hope these eco-friendly diapers are an answer to prayer. Thank you, Dawn, for sharing this bit of info!