Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Visit to Waco Zoo

Last Tuesday, the boys and I headed to Waco, Texas to meet up with our close friends, The Little's (Aunt Sylvia, Alexis and Caleb), who live just north of Austin. We made a day of it by spending the morning at the Waco Zoo! Of course, the "wait to last minute to prepare" person that I am on most days, forgot my camera. I didn't get any of my own pics but Alexis was busy snapping away with her new little camera. I was able to pack most of our lunch and snacks. This was the first trek I had made with the boys without Steve.

We arrived around 10:45am. I think it took us about 1.5 hrs from Cedar Hill. Not bad! It was a nice zoo; quiet with very little traffic. It was extremely hot and HUMID. OK, I'm not talking 90% humidity; it's was way over 100% and then sum. We were drenched by the time we walked up to the gate. We were able to use our Dallas Zoo membership and we didn't have to pay any admission fees. Plus parking was free too! I thought the landscaping was very pretty and definitely a well kept. The zoo is small which is perfect for toddler age kiddos. In my opinion, the best part of the zoo was the Brazos River County exhibit area. We enjoyed the spanish and indian exhibits throughout. But, the kids loved the otters. This exhibit has a clear slide that is built within the water container so when the kids slide through, the otters are swimming right by them. Too cool!! I think it took us about 2 hrs to tour the entire zoo. Not bad especially when you've got toddler age kids.

After the zoo, we headed to Subway and had lunch. It was great to spend time with the Littles and just catch up with each other. After lunch, we parted ways and headed back to Cedar Hill and they back to Hutto. Of course, on the way back, I had to stop in Hillsboro and visit the Carter and Gymboree outlets. Yay!! I was able to get some great bargains for the boys. The boys did great, we were all safe and home by 5pm.

I can't wait to do something like this again. It really was an enjoyable time and well worth the trip. It's not very often we get to do something like this with great friends so I treasure these moments.